Friday, June 21, 2024

June Updates

Tamara from Garibaldi Charters informed me that the 2 1/2 Three Arch Rocks NWR ecotours sign-ups are doing well, and she thinks it likely some of the four may sell out. See the OPT Schedules page for dates, but conatct Garibaldi Charters to sign up. 

Oregon Pelagic Tours has an agreement with our charter office partners that if we cancel a trip due to lack of interest, we will do so no later than three weeks before the trip. This allows the charter to use the boat for other trips, such as fishing. So when our newest offering, the July 13 six-hour trip from Newport, only had three paid pasengers about a month before its scheduled sailing, the decision was made to cancel this trip. While there were other passengers who said they wanted to go, paid passengers guarantee a sailing. Moral of the story: anyone who is serious about going on a specific trip should commit with a payment as soon as convenient. 

The next three trips (8/18 Garibaldi, 8/25 Newport Deepwater, 9/7 Newport) are all about halfway to making their boat costs. Given that Oregon Pelagic Tours passengers have a history of signing up later, I am still hopeful all three of these will go. 

We hope that you will be joining us this season on the ocean! 


Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Repo Cruise (Personal) Aboard Nieuw Amsterdam

I just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday (4/27), having enjoyed a repositioning cruise. Because of the stops on the itinerary, we had two sea days. I was traveling with a friend and chose to limit my birding, but still had a great trip -- highlights included 113 Leach's Storm-Petrels, 53 Murphy's Petrels, and 1 Cook's Petrel. I am looking forward to the Oregon Pelagic Tours guided repositioning cruise on Sapphire Princess, May 7-11. Spots are still available, but you'd have to move fast to contact me.


Tuesday, April 16, 2024

WOS Pelagics, April 26 and 27: One going, one canceled

The pelagics arranged for the Washington Ornithological Society on Friday, April 26 and Saturday, April 27 have a mixed result. Friday's pelagic reached full status relatively quickly, while Saturday's pelagic did not register enough passengers to even get halfway to the minimum number needed to run the trip. With less than two weeks to go, we had to cancel the pelagic and release the boat's availability back to the charter office. Never a decision to make lightly, some trips just do not get enough sign-up to justify the great expense of chartering a boat, and I hope all participants attending the WOS Meeting find other enjoyable field trips and birding opportunities.