Sunday, August 30, 2020

OPT Updates, On Weather Dates, Remaining Trips

Well, the much anticipated deepwater trip on August 29 was cancelled due to poor conditions. We have been quite fortunate with this date in the past, but unfortunately the odds finally caught up with us. The worst part of this job is making the decision to cancel, knowing that some people have traveled great distances to come out with us, or just have one opportunity to take a pelagic trip in a given year.  However, passenger safety is our primary concern, and the ocean will sometimes act in a manner that is not conducive to running a trip. 

I have been asked why most of our trips do not have a weather date. The answer is pretty simple: because we do not own our boat, we rent a boat for X number of hours from fishing charter offices. They are also booking fishing trips -- at the end of August some of the boats would be doing lucrative tuna trips -- and we can't tie up a boat on the chance we will need it in case of a weather cancellation. So it just does not work out for the fishing charters to hold a boat for us in case we need it. 

We will be offering trips the rest of 2020 -- two in September, two in October, and one trip in December. Because we are capping each trip at 16, trips are filling up. September 12 is full, with people on the wait list. September 26 currently has one spot remaining. October 4, our ten-hour trip, is up to nine passengers. October 24 and December 5 both have quite a few spaces.If you are interested in joining us in 2020, you may wish to sign up sooner, rather than later. 

Good birding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment